Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Morice Canyon (cont'd) Lakelse, and Kitamatt on Hwy 37 South

Let's see - the last post was in Prince Rupert in a Safeway. They had a little wi-fi corner there, maybe because they had a Starbucks. Anyway, the place really got crowded, it was taking forever to download pictures, and John was waiting to use the computer himself - pressure! So I look back now and see my typos (those of you who know me well know how much that bugs me!) What I also didn't realize was that most of the people in there were crew from the cruise ship that had just docked. It was the Norwegian Star. Here I was thinking all of the people in there were natives (but they had really updated computers!) and they spoke a different language. How nice, I think, that they are preserving their native culture. Then I realize they are Filipinos, and are speaking Tag-a-log!

So, back to the bridge at Hagwilget. John of course, went UNDER the bridge to take pictures, out on some ledges. And I'm thinking - Wow, if he goes over the canyon, I don't even know the code to open the truck. I better get that!  Also, John liked the story about how they tested the bridge by sending the women out there with fully loaded packs.  If it held, then the bridge was safe.

Reminds me of the Country song, "Put another log on the fire --then come and tell me why you're leavin' me!"





This bear statue was in front of the visitors bureau at
Kitamat, which is a town out on Douglas Sound.  There were big plans to make it into a planned community.  There is an unbelievably large aluminum plant here.
Kitamat means "snow people" and the snowfall in the winter is one of the largest.  John thought that from the rear, the bear looked like it had a hospital gown on!  He is one of several statues that were painted by artists and auctioned off.

We stayed the night at Lakelse Lake.  Beautiful provincial campground with about 140 sites - we were the only ones there!  Love theat solitude.  Nacho liked this place, too!
Nacho had his picture taken in the beautiful garden that is above the town.  It overlooks Douglas Sound.  As you can see, we are having wonderful weather!  This little English garden was full of benches and a pleasant place to sit.  We also went out to a Falls, Moore Creek Falls.  It is right across from the Rio Tinto Aluminum Plant.  Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment