Friday, July 9, 2010

Can you sell Ice Cream to Alaskans?

Peggy’s Ice Cream

Just when you think you are out in the wilderness, communing with nature, reality
hits you in the head.  Or is it reality?

I think I have mentioned that Alaskans lead the US in per capita consumption of ice cream.

So here we have Miss Peggy, in her pink truck coming through the area three times a day with ice cream, hot soup and espresso!  Like all good ice cream trucks, she has music playing, and the first song we heard was “La Cucaracha.”

Now this really shorted out my mind.  Even though the town is named Valdez, why a Mexican song?

Then, it seemed, we saw Miss Peggy everywhere, including when we spotted some bears.  She said, “ This calls for my grizzly hat.”  And the young girl with her donned a polar bear hat, and they posed for a picture. Later I saw her lend a shark hat and a whale hat to people who posed in front of her truck for pictures.











One time she came through the camp and there was actually a line at the truck.  And the line represented probably 30 percent of the people there!

She did change songs, and I had just gotten “Turkey in the Straw” to keep from playing over and over in my head when here she came once more.   I’m sure she is an institution in Valdez and has lots of friends and loyal customers.   And it turned out to be fun to hear her coming and watch a crowd gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment