Monday, June 28, 2010

Chena Hot Spring Bike Classic



Chena Hot Springs Bike Classic


John found out about a bike ride taking place outside Fairbanks that sounded pretty interesting to him.  Coincidentally, Fred was planning on riding in it with the Fairbanks Bicycle Club.  The ride was a thirty five miles through some beautiful country. 




   It started at the Paradise Valley Store in Two Rivers.  A group of serious riders had started earlier nearer Fairbanks and was 62 miles.  As the Peloton went by, the riders started from Paradise Valley.  I followed in the car. 



















And took some pictures of the riders in front of me (Fred and John) as I went by.  At the side of the road on the other side was a Moose.  Do I take pictures of the riders or the moose?  Both I guess, and I didn’t hit either one!
These riders didn’t follow any of the rules of the road I was familiar with, and it was





hard to pass them and people were passing me on this narrow road.





















John came across the finish line in good time, and there was a luncheon.  One of the perks of the ride was a dip in the Hot Springs, a natural spring in a beautiful rock setting.  We decided to stay at the campground at the springs, and later at night, after dinner, we went into the springs and came out thoroughly relaxed.   It was a wonderful day. 

John and I took a ride back down the highway, since I said I had missed seeing a lot of it while keeping an eye on the riders.  We happened upon another moose, standing in the water.  They are now feeding on the plants on the bottom of the lakes and ponds as well as the remaining young willow shoots beside the roads.  










And, we saw a beautiful butterfly and a fly fisherman in the North Chena River practicing catch and release.  He caught several fish while we were watching. 





We thoroughly enjoyed this trip, which was 57 miles up the Chena River Valley.  It would never have happened if it hadn’t been for the bike ride, and John really enjoyed being among bikers once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment